Monday, February 11, 2013

In His Hands

Last night I had to face a fear of mine. As many of you know parts of New England were hit with Blizzard Nemo this weekend. Being in CT meant that we got hit hard and were stuck inside for days. I had brought my best friend home from school the night before the blizzard just for safety reasons because at that point we did not know just how bad this storm would be. We have had large snow storms in my lifetime before, I have seen two feet of snow a few times but it usually comes from having one storm then maybe a day later having another storm on top of that one. This storm however dumped it all on us at once. There were places here that got three feet or more of snow. Plow trucks were breaking down left and right and people were stranded without power.

The stress of it all was headache enough and the clean-up was overwhelming but we got through it. The roads however were not cleaned off yet because the trucks were not handling three feet of snow and who can blame them. Right now the roads still aren't clear and accidents just keep coming because even though we live in New England not all of us drive well in three feet of snow. I myself am a nervous driver because I have felt and seen what its like to slide backward down a hill in a small car. It is the worst feeling you can ever have. You lose total control and there isn't time to think about what to do next.

Of all of the schools that cancelled ours hadn't cancelled so we got on the road and began heading back to school. My sister was very persistent about needed to get back to school before six pm, so I finally gave in. I had this feeling that we should have waited until six but I was too nervous to deal with her complaints.  We were about halfway to school when all of a sudden my sister and roommate got phone calls telling us that classes were cancelled for today.

All I wanted to do was turn the car around and go home but it was too late. I had successfully made it over the highway with minimal sliding. That was a gift from God, and I was not about to test my luck any further on the terrible roads. I just want to say, that in no way am I blaming those who have spent days away from their families to clear roads. I am just simply telling you all about how much anxiety I was feeling at the time.

When we got that phone call I was ready to turn around and let my sister have it. I was so angry with her for making me drive on the icy, snow covered roads at night just to find out that we had no classes. Instead I took a breath and continued driving because I knew that there was nothing else I could do at that point but trust that God knew what He was doing even when I didn't. I kept thinking about Carrie Underwood's song, "Jesus Take the Wheel". At that moment in time that was what I prayed. I prayed that God would take the wheel and calm me down so that I could just drive.

To simply put it I am referencing the book of Job.
"In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

That whole ride here I was not in control. I am not the reason that we made it here safely. God is the reason that I overcame my fear for just that one night. He gave me the strength to not fall apart out of fear. No matter the fear, small or big, put it in God's hand because in His hand He created life. So the next time that you are scared or facing a fear give it to God, put it in His hands and let Him help you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment