Friday, December 14, 2012

Just Study

This week was what a lot of us call, exam week. Granted there are always people who use this week to party, but the majority of us spend the entire week with our heads in our books. Any other time of the year we save studying for last minute when we are done hanging out with friends or having a good time. This one week is the time where a lot of us finally read the textbooks that we have had all semester or finally read through the hundreds of notes that we have taken. Our end goal and the thing that keeps us focused, is to do well on our exams and go home for break. I can't tell you how many hours I spent reading my books and making note cards this week. On top of that I spent hours with an online tutor in hopes that I would find success today.

In thinking about this more I realized that Christians get tested as well. Our faith is tested so many time throughout our lives. We may not be able to see them coming but we can surely recognize at least some of them when they are happening. For my silly math test I went to a tutor and spent hours learning and practicing everything that I could hold on to. Why is it so easy to study for an academic test or a test that will re-license people in their field of work, yet we get so lost and helpless when we face a test in our spiritual lives? We have resources that we can study yet we don't always use them. We have been given the textbook for life but when times get tough some of us forget that we have such an amazing life tool.

As new technologies are invented, new opportunities are invented that Christians can use to their benefit. If you want to sit down and hear a message that someone presented in a sermon then you can go online and do it. We have the ability to download sermons to watch over and over again until we think the message sticks. A lot of the hard work is done for us. If you can't figure out where to sit down and start reading the Bible you can go pick up a devotional and start from there. I have even make little note cards for myself when I am facing a trial that read scripture to inspire me to keep going. What's even better is that we have the Teacher on call 24/7, all we have to do is call out His name.

Don't just take my word for it, take the words of Scripture:
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God, may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" 2 Timothy 3:16-17

To continue my analogy, God has given us the cheat sheet to our test in His word. We must have faith through all tests. The next time you are facing what you think, is a test from God take a step back and consider treating it like an academic test. Don't panic and give up, just study. Study the Word, study His promises and trust in Him. Make this test of faith, the most important test you are facing and study. 

No comments:

Post a Comment