Thursday, January 3, 2013

Just a Country Song

This morning I was listening to my favorite new song again. The title throws a lot of people off and they can't look past it long enough to hear what the song is about. The first time that I heard the song I was taken aback by the meaning and the truth behind the words. When I decided to play the song for my dad I prefaced him with the same thing that I am going to preface you with. The title of the song and the first few words may strike you as inappropriate for the context of the rest of the song. I am asking you to overlook the title and some of the words and listen to what else the singer had to say.

The song is called "Beer With Jesus" it is sung by country singer Thomas Rhett. The first few lyrics are him talking about sitting down and having a beer with Jesus. I personally do not drink beer (seeing as I am not 21) and you may not like the fact that he put the word beer, and Jesus in the same sentence but for the sake of the rest of the lyrics think about the beer as if it were coffee. In your mind change it to coffee with Jesus, if that will help you to look past the first part of the song. I am going to share some of my favorite parts of the song.

"Beer With Jesus"

I'd be sure to let him do the talkin'
Careful when I got the chance to ask
How'd you turn the other cheek
To save a sorry soul like me
Do you hear the prayers I send
What happens when life ends
And when you think you're comin' back again
I'd tell everyone, but no one would believe it
If I could have a beer (coffee)  with Jesus

Those words are the words that are often on my heart. My dad has always told me not to ask him those questions because he isn't the one that can answer them. He always tells me to make a list of the questions that I have for Jesus when He finally takes me home. I never really thought that anyone else had those same questions to ask God. There is so much that I don't understand but I have never heard my questions spoken aloud by someone other than me.

To some this might just be some dumb country song, but to me it speaks the questions that are on my heart. We may not have the answers yet but now I know that I am not the only one seeking an answer. Some of these questions remain questions because they are a part of just having faith. We have to trust that God has a plan for our lives when they end, and we have to keep on living while we wait for Him to return. I cannot imagine what it will be like when I finally face God, I don't even know if I will remember how to speak but at least I have questions for Him and I have faith that He will give me answers someday. Take a minute to listen to the song, and truly listen to the lyrics, I promise you that they are meaningful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment