Monday, April 11, 2011

The Preacher or the Teacher?

Today I went to church. I miss going so much, but there are just some weeks that I cannot handle leaving the house. I have always been the one sitting in church taking detailed notes during the sermon. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I doodle, but I give the pastor my "pretty" drawings. For a long time I have always found it weird that the sermons during service matched what we learned about in Sunday School. When I was little, I used to tell my mom (who was my Sunday School teacher) that she and the Pastor had talked before church so that they could match lessons. When I was a little bit older, I was able to see that the matching messages came from the Lord. Every time after that I knew to listen very closely when it was the same message twice. I believe that the Lord sends us what we need to hear. It may not be what we want, but if He is sending the message from all different directions it's time to open your ears.

Hearing the message twice is great, but not everyone can make it to Sunday School, but don't worry the Lord has many ways of speaking to His people. With everything that is going on in my life health wise, I have found it difficult to climb the stairs to get into the Sanctuary. Today was only the second time that I have gone to church, since the surgery. Both the first time and this time, the sermon was something that touched situations in my life. Although the Pastor knows what's going on in my life, he doesn't know what it is that I need to hear. He may be the preacher but he is not the Teacher. The Lord is our Teacher. He sends messages to us through other people in our lives, like the Pastor at your church.

Sometimes I only half listen to the sermon, but I take notes so that I can look back later. By doing that I get the chance to form my own thoughts on that topic, and piece it together in my life. I don't suggest that you always figure it out yourself, but it might help you. No matter what though, I always hear what the Lord wants me to hear. I sound rather contradictory but there are just so many ways that the Lord talks to us and I want people to know that what they hear really is Him.

Each sermon, lesson, devotion, teaching, is special, as long as it truly comes from the Lord. I find that the sermon topic touches me as well as others around me. Knowing that one topic can fit what is going on in my life, and my fellow church members, is amazing. When I sit in my chair, listen to a sermon and find the answers to my situational questions, I know that my answers are from the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment