Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Day to Remember

I still remember exactly what I was doing when a plane hit the twins towers 11 years ago. I remember the tears that were shed by teachers and parents that came to pick up their children from school. We were young children at the time, and suddenly our innocent view of the world was shattered. As each year passed by I met more and more families and children that were directly effected by 9/11. I myself did not lose anyone, but my friends have. On this day 11 years ago mothers lost their children, children lost their parents, and friends lost their loved ones. I hurt for those people that are hurting, and in the past I felt like there was nothing I could do to help them get through this day each time that it comes around.

Though a lot of us did not lose a loved one on September 11th, we have all suffered a loss in some way. I lost my best friend a little over a year ago. I felt like my heart was ripped out of me, and left me empty with nothing but greif. I have felt the pain, and the sorrow that the victim's families felt and still feel. I also know that in all of the time that has passed I have not stopped thinking about what else I wanted to say to my best friend, and all the memories that we wanted to make together. It is so easy to get stuck in a pit of what if's, and failed plans.

Today while studying my Bible I came across a verse that was is so relavant to everything that I have been saying, and feeling.

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted"  Matthew 5:4

It is okay to mourn, but we have to turn that over to the Lord. In order to be comforted we need to want to be comforted. When you are ready to let the Lord in, and let Him help, He has promised to comfort us. Throughout today consider how your life can be changed just by turning your grief over the God.  

After much thought I realized that the one way I can help the grieving is to pray for them. It seems so obvious to pray for them, and some of you may already pray for those who have lost loved ones. So I challenge you today, to take the time to focus your prayer around healing, comfort and forgiveness. And pray for those all over this country that have lost loved ones and are not turning their hurt over to the Lord. Then remember to thank the Lord for giving you the chance to live and to have a loving family. I am a firm believer that prayer changes thing. So let's start praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment