Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pain Will Not Win

Pain is something that I have had to live with my entire life. I don't know what it is like to not have pain. However, I do know that I can make the choice to either push myself as hard as I can and fight the pain, or I can give up and let the pain become me. The choice gets tougher on days like today. Today it was raining, and chilly, and on top of all of that I had to walk a very long distance to get to and from classes. My knee is swollen and my head has been pounding. I've been contemplating whether or not to lay down and rest, and forget everything else that I have to get done. The thing is, I am not the kind of person to give up and let my pain lead my life.

Whenever I tell someone that I have Fibromyalgia, or that my mom and my sister suffer with pain conditions as well, they always say that they are so sorry. I do not want an apology, nor do I want anyone's pity because I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones. I pity those with disabilities that do not yet know the Lord because they do not know of His healing powers. I meet people very often who lived their lives without pain, and then all of a sudden they wake up and are being labeled with some life altering pain disorder. In their cases they did live life without pain, and without any restrictions, but now they have to change everything. Being in pain for my entire life has provided me an outlook that I may not have had if I wasn't in pain. I have a compassion for others like myself, or others that are struggling medically and emotionally.

I find a lot of my hope, and my comfort through Psalm 103:2-5: "Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all of your sins and heals all of your diseases. Who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagles"
.
I wish that I was not in pain and that there weren't 46 million (literally)  other people in this country suffering from the same disease that I have, but I cannot dwell on that wish. My situation is not going to change no matter how much I wish I could change it. I have decided to use my pain to reach out to others and share with them the reason that I have so much hope. My pain has humbled me, and given me a wonderful understanding of anyone that is struggling with any sort of illness or dissability. The Lord has also provided me with the knowledge and tools to help anyone that is struggling. I am blessed in a way that is hard to put words to.

I challenge you to go out of your way to help those in pain. I can guarantee you that as the weather changes those who suffer with any sort of pain problems will need help. Be a witness, and be the support that someone has been praying for. Also, pray that God can lead you in the direction of someone that truly needs your help in their lives. God may lead you somewhere you never thought you would be, so embrace the challenge and let God work.

No comments:

Post a Comment