Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Walking the Line

I will be entering my senior year in about a month. It is a scary thought to me because it means I have to figure out what to do with my life. More so than that, I have started becoming anxious about entering back into a secular school. I have gone to secular schools my whole life and it has never really been a problem, but this year is different. During this past summer, I spent a great deal of my time in the company of Christians. It has been an amazing summer, full of praise and worship.

When I go back to school I will be taken out of my group of Christian ladies and thrown back into the real world. My heart has been set on fire for Christ this summer. When things became stressful, or trying, my group of Christian friends were always by my side ready to set me straight on the path again. At school, I am one of few Christians. Some say that it is to be expected because I did not choose to go to a Christian school, but when it came down to school choices God brought me to Eastern.

In talking with someone today, I expressed my worries about the school year. I have some really difficult classes that are going to be both emotionally and physically taxing. This amazing Christian woman explained to me something that she had heard while listening to a devotional. She said that as Christians we walk on a line. If we walk on one side, we are completely engulfed in a world of Christians. We worship and fellowship together and its fulfilling but no one outside of that group finds you "normal".

However, if you are on the other side of that line, you are completely engulfed in the world. So much so, that people can't tell that you are a Christian because you are too much like the world. So basically you walk a very fine line. It would be nice for me to completely surround myself with other believers, but then I wouldn't really be doing God's work. Our job as Christians is to make sure that every person we can reach, knows the love of Christ and what He has done in our lives.

I had to stop and think about that for a moment. Though I am not fully surrounded by Christians at school, I know that they are supporting me in prayer. I have to be strong in my faith and share the love of Christ. We have been called upon to spread the gospel and help bring others to Christ. We cannot isolate ourselves among each other because we have a greater job to do.

This conversation today, though it lasted only minutes, gave me a new understanding of my purpose at Eastern. I challenge you to look at your life right now and figure out why God has you placed where you are. If you get discouraged, remember that God has a plan for you and that we are called to share the good news that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior and that we will only get to heaven through Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment