Friday, August 22, 2014

No Regrets

There are so many changes going on in our lives every single day. We can't stop time, we can't slow down life. Everyone has always told me that my high school years would go by fast, and that college would go by faster. I have to say that, that is the truth. I am about to start my senior year, as many of you know. It feels like just yesterday I was preparing for my first move in day of college. I was on my own. The first Disco to go off to college. Of course I dragged the whole family along as well. For three years move in day has been a family adventure. It feels weird to know that this is my last move in.

What is stranger to me, is the fact that my little sisters are entering second grade. Before we had them I always thought parents were silly for thinking that second, third and fourth grades were a huge step in their lives, but it really is. I remember their first day of kindergarten. It was a beautiful sight to see them heading off to school like big girls. I just found a stack of pictures from that time in their lives. Its hard to believe that they are already in second grade.

I have had the opportunity to never take this time with them for granted. Their lives were never a permanent thing in my future, so every single moment with them has been special. Its an experience that I cherish. They have grown so much, both physically (they have gotten so huge), and emotionally. These past few years have never been the easiest, but they are memories I will never forget.

The problem is, that while I was spending all of this time cherishing their lives, I missed out on a lot going on in my own life. I was so concerned with cherishing their lives and slowing down their time with me, that I let my college years slip by. I'd like to say that I regret it, but I really don't. I think that God had me where I have been because these are the memories that I wanted to cherish. I may have missed out on "normal" college things, but I learned to enjoy my time with beautiful children.

I know that I am blessed, and I know that no matter what the future holds, my family will always come first. I will never apologize for putting them above friends. I have a rather large family (church family, southern family, extended family). Family is something that can never be replaced. If you don't take the time to nurture your children (as I was as a child), and celebrate everything in their lives, it will fly by and when you look back, the memories will be filled with regret.

God only gave us one life to live. We can either, party, go wild and live by the "yolo (you only live once" standard, or you can become firm in your faith and put your time in effort into the family that God gave you, whether you are blood related or not, we are family. So celebrate the Lord and praise Him for the life that He gave you.

No comments:

Post a Comment