Sunday, August 17, 2014

Story of a Scar

We all have scars. Some are visible some are not. Bottom line is, we all have them. Each scar represents something that happened to us in the past. The event, or injury that occurred most likely brought emotional or physical pain. Someone once said that scars are proof that we are stronger than whatever it was that happened to us. They are proof that we won.

I started thinking about scars the other day. When I looked down at my knee, I have a beautifully healed two inch scar and a small circular scar. From another persons perspective it looks like I had a successful surgery. What no one knows (well unless you know me well enough), is that, that tiny little scar was once an infection that ate my skin, and that scar covers up the thing that left me wheelchair bound and bed ridden for months. That scar covers the pain that has never gone away since the surgery. It also covers up the bullying that I received due to my inability to walk correctly for well over a year.

However, that scar is proof that my God healed my pain. Through this ordeal I was able to learn that the pain in my knee was caused by osteoarthritis, and nothing that the surgeon did. It is proof that I overcame the infection and the bullying. I overcame the fear that I would never walk again. I have made it through three years of college and am entering my fourth year. When I started college I was in a wheelchair. By my first day of college I managed to use crutches and a heavy brace. I am about to enter my final year of college and I'm standing on my own two feet.

People who meet me now, never have to know the pain that I went through. In saying that, I realize that people I meet have their own scars. We don't know where people are coming from when we meet them. Sometimes we can see the scars and we can come to our own conclusions about how they came to have those scars. In all honestly, we don't know their story.

Most importantly, just because you have a scar that is not visible, does not mean that its not there. The loss that you have faced left scars. Whether or not they are on your body, they are there. I have tried to hide my scars from people and pretend like there is no story to them, but there is. Whatever created those scars was done for a purpose. God has a plan for the scars and He will use them in our lives to help us. Do not be ashamed of something that happened TO you. God uses all situations to help us, and lead us.

Instead of thinking of your scars as something ugly, think about them as proof that, with God, you overcame that obstacle. He carried you when you were hurting. The scar is a sign of love. God loved you enough to heal you of your wounds and make you whole again. So now when I look down at my knee, instead of feeling sorry for myself I can turn to God and thank Him for giving me back my life. I can thank Him for helping me walk when I thought it wasn't possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment