Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Answer is in The Word.

Yesterday , someone posted this quote as their status. The person is someone that I respect. She is an amazing Christian women. Other Christian role models of mine, "liked" that status, so I read it. It made me uncomfortable and I disagreed with it. I wanted to ask where that came from, but I felt that it was rude to question the opinion of an adult. She posted the man's name who said the quote, and I went to Google and searched his name. When I did that a website called "The Way of the Master" came up. Along with that title, it said that it was run by Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron. I absolutely love Kirk Cameron and have always thought highly of him as a Christian.

After reading more into the site, there was more that I disagreed with. They were talking about evangelism, and how we need to get out there and share the name of the Lord with everyone, but the way they said to do it was against what I have learned. I wanted to get the opinion of other Christian adults but I felt like that was also rude.

The quote was, "Many Christians will not witness unless they sense the Spirit of God prompting them to speak to a particular person. I'm not that spiritual. I share my faith whenever and wherever possible. As far as I'm concerned, the starting gun went off 2,000 years ago with a loud, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature"... (Mark 16:15). My conscience continually prompts me to speak" - Ray Comfort.

I have been taught that in everything we do, we go to the Lord and allow Him to speak through us. This quote, and the  website stress that we need to just let our conscious share the message that we already know. I agree that it is good to share your faith whenever and wherever you can, but you need to make sure that the spirit is in you and with you as you do so. If we just let our conscience prompt us to tell the message that we repeatedly say, to everyone, eventually it will become a routine. Like putting on socks, it will become just another random part of your day. 

I believe that you need to go to the Lord before you approach someone to share the gospel. If we do not allow the Lord to speak through us, what we end up saying will have pieces of the world in it. I was talking to one of my college friends last night about this, and she reminded me also that our actions can speak just as loud as our words. She told me that we do not always have to speak the message of God, but that we can show God's love through our interations with non-believers. 

 She also sent me into 1 Corinthians 13:3 which says, "If I give all I possess to the poor, and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing". It is not about how many people we speak the message too. We must have love, and the Lord needs to be with us. I respect the opinions of the Christian adults in my life, but this time I felt that what they were saying, was not supported by the Word. If you ever have a doubt and feel that you cannot go to a reliable Christian adult, then you do not have to give up and never get an answer, God has given us the answers in His Word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment