Monday, November 19, 2012

Thank You for Sending Your Son

This is the time of year where everyone is telling each other what they are thankful for. For a lot of people this is just a superficial thanks because they don't really feel all that grateful from the start. As Christians we tend to talk about thankfulness at different times throughout the year. We have so many things that God has given to us, that we should be grateful for but how grateful are we really? The way that I see it, a lot of us take our lives and our faith for granted.

Yesterday while I sat and listened to the sermon at church, I got distracted trying to figure out what I am grateful for this year. It shouldn't be that hard to think of things but I got trapped in all of the things that went wrong this year instead of all of the blessings that have been given to me. Then all of a sudden the pastor really got my attention because he began talking about the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, and the fact that God gave His son for us. I just froze for a second because the only things that I was thankful for were material objects. I am embarrassed and disappointed in myself for becoming materialistic rather than realize the most important thing that my life is built upon.

I am thankful for God giving us His one and ONLY son. He is our savior and that is the greatest gift that we have ever, and will ever receive. If you are a parent think about this for a moment, could you imagine letting one of your children die a horrible death right in front of you. Could you watch your child be beaten and humiliated by everyone who claimed to support them at some point in their life. I cannot imagine any of us who would be able to stand that, but God did. He knew that His son was going to be our savior. No matter how hard it was for God He still gave us His son, which in turn gave us life. I am eternally thankful to God and to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and ONLY Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him." John 3:16-17

We would have nothing, not our families, or our friends or our belongings if God did not send His Son to save us. This week when you are asked what you are thankful for remember this verse. I could say that I am thankful for all of the blessings in my life and all of the opportunities that I have been given but when it comes down to it the most important thing that we can be thankful for is Jesus Christ our Lord and savior. What a wonderful gift, God gave us through His only Son. I am thankful for the life that I have and everything in my life but my focus this week is sharing with others the greatest gift we should be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment