Thursday, November 29, 2012

You Help Me Stand

Have you ever had a to-do list that just kept growing no matter what you did? Well that is my problem right now. I am a person who really likes lists but I also like to cross things off my list. I have been working really hard at setting my priorities and getting studying and homework done early. My list was shrinking so much and I was feeling a little relief but of course that relief was only momentary because when I woke up this morning I had to add about ten things that I need to get done and try to find enough time in the day to get them all done. I know that you're all thinking that I am a college student and this is finals time but it's not just a school to-do list anymore.

If this work load had been placed on me even just a few days earlier I would have most likely broken down. Now looking back on this stressful week I just look up and laugh. It seems like a cruel joke has been played on my life right now but now I figure why not laugh it off. I would love to sit here and waste time hoping that my homework will get it self done, or that my quiz would disappear. I can sit here hoping that the music for worship service will fall into my lap with no practice necessary but it wont. Being at school takes work, being part of a Church family takes work, being part of a family takes work, spreading holiday cheer takes work, parenting takes work, relationships take work.

Admitting that everything takes work is great but what I wasn't thinking about is why I have all of this work and this pressure. I believe that again God is bringing me to my knees. I have not relied on Him as much as I should. It sounds terrible for me to say that God is putting this stress on me but in a way He is. Sometimes God gives a a little more than we can handle ALONE. Alone is the key because He doesn't give us tasks or hardships that He can fix, He gives me the stress right now because I have not been leaning on Him. The stress is a reminder to me that I need to ask for help long before I am in over my head.

"So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." 1 Corinthians 10:12-13.

Those very words describe how this week has gone for me and what I have been taught by the Lord. The way out that He is talking about for me is turning my stress and tribulation over to Him and asking Him for help. There are, as you know, some easy ways out of some of the work loads that we have, but they are not the right places to turn. I am going to stand tall but I can only stand tall if the Lord is beside me helping me stand. I am burnt out from all of the pressure and work that I have done and it is daunting to have to face even more work but I can do it. I can do it if the Lord helps me stand, if He helps me do it. The same goes for you but maybe this way you can realize that you aren't leaning on Him before you get overloaded! Just remember that in order to stand firm the Lord has to be by our side leading the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment