Friday, October 5, 2012

More than Blessed

We are always told to forget the past and look toward the future. In theory that might work out okay for you, but in reality unless you have had some sort of head trauma, or medical condition you aren't going to forget the past. Not forgetting the past, and dwelling on the past are two totally different issues, I am speaking more along the lines of looking into your past, not dwelling. My thoughts on this matter came about this morning when I was wishing my best friend of many years, a happy 18th birthday. As we continued talking he said "can you believe I'm 18?". I had to take a step back and let it sink in that he just turned 18. When we met all those years ago in Sunday School, he was about 12, and I was 13. Time had come and gone faster than I realized it.

It really had me thinking about the path that we took to get to the place we are in our friendship today. The years of fellowship, repairing old wounds, worshiping the Lord, and keeping each other accountable. Think about a friend that you have known for a very long time. I guarantee that you have gone through a lot together, and created many memories along the way.

On a broader end, I began to think about my entire past. I remember all of those times that I wanted to give up, or the situations that I thought would never change. I thought about all of the pain I have faced, and all of the times that the doctors said that there was nothing more that they could do. Here I stand today, I have overcome so many obsticales. The best part is, that I am proof to myself and to others that God is amazing and that He is our healer and our protector. All of those times that the doctors couldn't help me, God found a way to help me! All of the tears that I have shed, God caught in His hand and comforted me. Even through all of the times that I pushed God away, He never let go of me.

Looking at my past I do see all of the mistakes I made, all of the friends that I lost, and time that I wasted. I also see all of the blessing that the Lord gave me, and all of the healing, and all of the new friends that I have gained. I never imagined when I started thinking about the past this morning, that it would set me on fire for the Lord, but it did. I cannot even begin to explain how blessed I feel to be where I am today. I also cannot really explain how amazing it feels to now have actual proof of God working in my life. We all have "proof" but it has taken me a while to finally realize this.

I challenge you to look back on your past, and rather than viewing it in a negative light, look at it through the eyes of a child of God. It may take you a while to really see what God has done in your life, but He has worked in your life and continues to work in your life. Give God praise and thank Him for everything that He has helped you overcome thus far! I have just begun thanking Him but I have so much more to be thankful for! I am excited to see what the Lord is going to do next in my life, and with God I am ready to face whatever comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment