Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Motivation

Last night I had an amazing opportunity to sit and listen to former CBS Evening News anchor Dan Rather. In the communication world he is a legend and someone that I look up to. There is a stereotype, that sometimes holds true, that television figures are all fake. Meaning that they act like first class citizens, and put on a show. After listening to Dan last night I can honestly say that he is a kind, hardworking man. He turned out to be quite the motivational speaker. The way he encourages young journalists was comforting to me, because I have been questioning whether or not journalists will be needed by the time I graduate.

The key is that he motivated me to continue what  I am doing, and to strive for high goals. The same can be true with our faith. I have been on the fence about what focus I was going to choose for my major. For me all it took was just a few people (and Dan Rather) to motivate me to make a decision and move forward. There are many people that sit on the fence about their decision to follow or not follow Christ. They need someone to motivate them to make a choice and move forward with their lives.

I have found though, that there is something else stopping us from being the motivators. For a number of reasons/ excuses we feel like we are not suit to be a motivator. I know that sometimes I sit in my room, knowing that I should be taking the opportunity to witness to others, and I tell myself that I'm not the only Christian and someone else will go out and be the motivator.  What if all of us just sat back and said to ourselves that someone else is already doing it so why should I. What if not one person decided to spread the word because they assumed that some other Christian already took care of it?

"For it is God who works in you, to will and to act in order to fulfill His good purpose!" 
Philippians 2:13.

 I think we sometimes forget who it is that does the work in our lives and through our lives. I will be the first to admit that in the area of motivation and "preaching" the Word, I have not put in enough effort. I have not made motivating others a top priority on my list of things to do.  However, I am reminded that we are called to step up and be the motivator for on the fence Christians or unbelievers.

I am not asking you to take this lightly, because it is a big job, but the question is are you ready to step up and be the motivator? If you still feel like that is not you, then take a look at your life, and your walk with the Lord and figure out what is stopping you. A simple thing to try would be to encourage your neighbor or your friend to go to church. Tell them about the service, motivate them to go. Motivation can come in all forms, but it must come from us, and through the love of Christ. Be in prayer about this, and please consider becoming what I call the motivator. Set your fellow believers on fire for Christ, I guarantee it will change a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment