Monday, October 29, 2012

The Storm

The impending storm has lingered over our heads for a couple days now. When we faced Tropical Storm Irene we were not ready for the damage that would come. We took it lightly because up here, we are not used to having terrible hurricanes/ tropical storms. Last year it ended up delaying my move in day for school which I loved because at the time I wasn't ready to leave home, but it left my family without power for a while. Homes were destroyed, families were torn apart, and it seemed like there was never enough help. The Lord blessed my family because we did not suffer any great damage.

However, that storm was just a tropical storm. This storm is a full on hurricane, and to make it worse, there is a cold front coming at us as well and when they meet the damage will be catastrophic. I feel like I should be more scared about this terrible thing that is beginning its terror but I cannot help but feel relieved that I am home with my family and with one of my best friends.  This is not what we expected for today, today was supposed to be all about our suite-mate who's birthday is today. I am a little disappointed but I know that there is a purpose for all of this.

I'm not sure how to explain what I am feeling right now, but I don't feel fearful.
"The Lord is my light and my salvation- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life- and whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

I am not in anyway trying to make light of this storm. I know the devestation that it is bringing, but I also have to remember that God has a plan. I cannot sit here fearful of whats coming, when I could be making the best of the time that I have. I have had a terrible week and it hasn't gotten better. When I learned about this storm I laughed because I figured things couldn't get much worse and then they did. The fact that we are now in danger, on top of everything else should make me angry but it actually didn't.

As some of you know or have learned through my blog, we are losing the baby this week. She is going to live with her beautiful baby brother with another loving family. I know that she will be happy but the realization that she's moving out has weighed heavy on my heart. I prayed over and over for God to give me more time. I didn't care that people were telling me to let it go, or that I should have been ready for this. Honestly I was angry with anyone who said that I should have been ready, or that I knew this was coming. I still wasn't ready, but I admit it. I have been praying on my knees every single day that the Lord would give me more time with her. I just felt like my work with her wasn't done yet, or that I failed to keep her safe and with a stable family. I have waited for His answer, it was all that I could think about. I had a plan to go to class and drive home every single day to be with her.

I got my answer. This storm has ended up being a sort of blessing to me. My whole family is stuck in our house for at least two whole days with nothing to do really but have fun. God gave me two whole days to spend with our beautiful little miracle. I will not waste this time with her because it is a wonderful gift. So even when the storm gets scary, I know that God is working in my life. All I can challenge you to do is pray. Not for my family per say, but for all of those that are going to be affected by this storm. Pray that people put their trust in God and remember that He is watching out for us.

There is a very high chance that I will lose power today. I am not sure when it will come back on. If the power goes out I will have no internet access and therefore won't have the ability to blog! Once the power is back I will give an update!! God bless and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment