Sunday, January 9, 2011

Christianity: Hollywood Style?

I know that I promised to write about my journey with Christian music and it really did go amazingly well today, but something else caught my attention. After church, my dad and I went to the grocery store to get some cereal and some other things for my mom. While we were walking down the isle, I saw this weeks issue of TV guide. This weeks issue is titled, "God On Tv: is prime time keeping the faith?" In this issue, there were pictures of shows like glee and supernatural, with people praying. Is this really what we have come to?

Hollywood is making it seem that the Christian life is easy. On shows like glee, you see that the head of the celebusy club got herself pregnant and still was president, because, she was forgiven and it was okay because she was head cheerleader. Then you have Finn on that same show, who goes out and lies all the time about everything, and then when he feels it necessary goes to God and prays. Now don't get me wrong, the Lord is always ready to listen to you even if you have been away for a while, but hollywood makes it seem like when you mess up you pray, and be Christian or Catholic for that day, and then you can go right back to your old life. Other shows like The Secret Life of the American Teenager, portray people like Grace, to be the outstanding Christian on the show in the first season, and make her seem like you have to be perfect to be a Christian, and then she turns around and begins to have sex and be involved in sexual activities. The Bible is very clear that all of that is to wait until marriage. When Grace first had sex, she asked for forgiveness, but now the writers of the show have made it seem like God is okay with sexual activities as long as you say that you are Christian.

Prime time has lost sight of what Christianity really is. Me, well I have the privelidge of having the Gospel Music Channel so I am able to watch uplifting shows all the time. Others though are not as lucky. The message coming across the TV at us about Christianity is not only wrong, but it is filling the heads of teenagers and kids alike with lies about the Lord, and what the Lord wants. As I heard today in Pastors message, the Bible is the truth. When everyone else lies and lets you down, the Bible will always be the solid truth.

So today I was taught something in a few different ways. As the world falters we must stay strong in our faith. We must be the example to the world of Christianity and the work of the Lord. Because we hold the title of Christian, we know that we are held to a higher standard, and we know that we must live in Christlikeness. We are an imperfect people but we must remember where the truth comes from. I am filled with joy to know that so many people like me are touched everyday by the love of God.

I have finished day one of the challenge and it went very well. I was given so many scriptural messages as the day went on, and I was in utter bliss listening to my Christian music. I will continue to give all of my music and my thoughts over to the Lord this week, and I will continue to be in the happiness because of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment